Cacciaconti Castle - Trequanda
Trequanda rises to the eastern border of the Crete Senesi territory, it can be reached from Sinalunga [ exit 'Val di Chiana/Bettolle' of A1 ] following the SS38 in direction of S.Giovanni d' Asso/Torrenieri or from the scenographic route SS438 starting from Siena and passing through Asciano and S.Giovanni d' Asso.
The medieval village of Trequanda, crowned by the remnants
of the ancient Cacciaconti castle, stands a hill 462 meters high sited
between the Val di Chiana and the Val d' Asso. The real origin of the
settlement is shrouded in the dark like the one of its name, even if some
historians attribute to the mythological Etruscan hero Tarkon [ Tarconte
] because is probable the Etruscan frequentation of this place. To the
mistery on Trequanda history strongly contributed the fire of the aretine
archives of the 1384 that contained the documentations concerning this
territory. Is however probable that already before the year 1000 the castle
was governed by the counts Cacciaconti della Berardenga, family of noble
Frank origin, sure they were the lords of this lands during the first
half of 12th century.
The position of Trequanda, at control of the road that
from Siena passing through Asciano carried to Chiusi, attract the sights
of the powerful Sienese Republic. Siena didn't miss any opportunity for
interfere in all the controversies regarding the village. But the inhabitants
were not happy of these interferences and opposed resistance until Trequanda
become one of the bases of the rebellion against the Guelph government
of Siena. In the 1289 Siena definitively overpowered Trequanda and the
castle risked to be shaved to the ground in order to prevent future uprisings.
Around 1330 the Cacciaconti sold the castle to the Franzesi of
Staggia and seven years after the new owners
donated it to Siena. Already in 1313 all the territory was under the direct
control of the Sienesi.
This was the period of maximum splendor of the village,
completely encircled by crenellated town walls with irregular shape, with
five towers and three gates, joined to the main round tower of the castle,
located at the vertex of the hamlet. Of the walls remain insufficient
traces, mainly recognizable on the northeast side, while of the three
gates the 'Porta al Sole' and the 'Porta al Borgo' are intact, completely
disappeared the 'Porta Buggea' that was located just under the castle.