Quattro Torri Castle
The castle of the 'Four Towers' rises to the periphery
of Siena, is reachable following the indications for the locality of S.Regina.
The most important castle of medieval
origin still today practically intact in the immediate outskirts of Siena
is without doubt known by the name of 'Quattro Torri' (Four Towers). It
is located a few hundred meters away from the church of S.Regina and until
the 1500 carried this name. Its origin seems to go back to the beginning
of the 1300s. In 1376 it became property of the family Bichi who, towards
the second half of the successive century restored the castle. Thanks
to its strategic position the 'Quattro Torri' played a primary role at
the times of the 'War of Siena' in the middle of 16th century.
The castle is constituted by an imposing mass of square shapes built in
red bricks endowed with four angle towers with various dimensions but
of the same height. The base of the walls is lightly bastionated, under
the battlement we can still admire the machicolation apparatus of classic
Sienese style. The gate of access, with its Gothic arch was protected
by breteche. The inner courtyard, not of great dimensions, is endowed
on two sides by a porticate from which begins the stairway that gives
access to the upper level. Transformed into a villa, today it is aprivate
residence visible only from outside.