Castiglione del Bosco, known in
the Middle Age as 'Castiglione on the Ombrone', was a small important
fortress due to its strategic position between the towns Montalcino and
|A surviving part of the external enclosure
Its importance is also recognized in a document of the
1208 in which were fixed the taxes to pay at the Republic Senese
for all the suburbs of the zone: Castiglione paid more than all the others.
The original fortification seems to go back to the first years of the
1200, when the family Cacciaconti of Trequanda surrounded the hill
with stone walls.
Subsequently the possession passed to the family of
the Gallerani and in 1339 to the Piccolomini, that conquered the castle
after a long and bloody siege. In this period the fortification has been
strengthened, mainly with the reconstruction of the mighty bastionated
keep. After a few years was set the last word to the history of Castiglione
del Bosco: on June 13th 1369 the Senese army, in hunting of the
exiled families of the Scotti and Marescotti, conquered and leveled to
the ground the castle.
Today the ruins of the castle rises in the garden
of a private villa, built enclosing the north-east angle of the external
castle walls. The fortification, crowning the vertex of a hill of 350
meters high, had the form of the classic medieval castle-fenced.
Today still remain some lines of the walled enclosure, a gate and the
partially destroyed keep. Its form is similar to those of the not far
Rocca of Tentennano
and the worked stones
used in its construction still testimony the ancient importance
of this settlement.