Larciano Castle

How to reach

The castle of Larciano can be reached following the speedway FI-PI-LI up to the exit 'S.Miniato' continuing then toward Fucecchio and from here toward Pistoia/Cerreto Guidi. Reached S.Rocco of Larciano a signal will guide you on the road for the castle, from here around 3 kilometers far.


Larciano dominates the western slopes of Montalbano Mountain. The zone has been the center of human settlement since the Roman age, as testified by numerous archaeological recoveries, and the same name of the castle is derived from 'Larcius', a Latin personal name.

During the whole Middle Ages, Larciano was the main center of this area, first of all thanks to the link with the Francigena Road that, from here, came up the Montalbano Mountain toward Serravalle.

The castle was the property of the Counts Guidi family since the first half of the 10th century. Their dominion was then confirmed by the emperors, Arrigo VI first and Federico II later. In 1225, the castle was sold to the City-state of Pistoia, and thanks to its strategic position, it became the most powerful stronghold of the defenses on this side of the Montalbano Mountain.

At this time, the castle and the town walls were strengthened. In 1302, Larciano fell under the siege of Florentine troops, allied with the armies of Lucca. In 1310, to regain its possession, Pistoia had to pay 10.000 gold Florins. When, in 1391, a common danger - the possible descent over Tuscany by Gian Galeazzo Visconti - united Florentines and Pistoiesi, the castle became a base for the unified army. A few years later, in 1401, Pistoia was subdued by Florence and Larciano became the center of one of a 'Podesteria' (territories administrated by a 'Podesta', Italian medieval term for chief magistrate or governor).

At the time of its greatest glory, the castle was surrounded by a strong walled enclosure endowed with two gates, one called 'di Bagno' and the other 'S.Marco'. Crowning a rocky spur, the mighty battlements reinforced by a high watch tower make it possible to dominate the whole Valdinievole.

The castle walls were equipped with machicolation over the main entrance, and the town walls were strengthened by flanking towers. Today, they have disappeared. The fortress is connected to the highest vertex of the city walls by a mighty curtain that closes the western angle, forming a triangular-shaped enclosure.

Inside was the palace of the Podesta, but today all the inner structures are gone; only some beautiful windows, opened on the external wall, remain. At the center of the courtyard was the ancient cistern for the water. The whole complex is in good condition thanks to a recent restoration, but this cannot be said for the city walls, which are now partly lost. However, still intact are the two medieval gates. Inside the castle can be found a small archaeological museum.

More info & notes

Torre di Larciano Castello, Free Access:

Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays:
09:00 - 11:00 all year
14:30 - 16:30 from 1/11 to 31/3
16:00 - 18:00 from 1/04 al 31/10

Archeological Museum Larciano Castello:

Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays:
09:00 - 12:00 all year
14:30 - 17:30 from 1/11 to 31/3
16:00 - 19:00 from 1/04 al 31/10