The little walled town of Tignano.
|The Only entrance.
little walled town of Tignano rise on a hill 334 meters high reachable
from Barberino Val d'Elsa, exit 'Tavarnelle' of the speedway Florence-Siena.
archeological finds were discovered in the territory around Tignano. In
that area in the year 1000 there was a little village and later, in 12th
century, Alberti Count's castle was built to create a defensive wedge
between the cities of Florence and Siena, the two mainly medieval
antagonists in the Tuscany region.
During the 13th century, Tignano became part of Florentine
Republic and took part in the war against Uberti family from Arezzo in
Gargonza. It appears that famous and exile Poet Dante was in Gargonza
during this siege. The Tignano Castle is placed on a hill at 334mt., and
has a typical circular structure of a fortified village. Actually has
just a portal of entrance. An arch with decoration in brick can also be
seen, with a coat of arms in the middle, probably belonging to a captain
from north of Italy. Nearby, on the short road, there is a cistern for
water supplying and the 14th century 'Palazzo dei Begliuomini' (in the
rear). The only tower and houses walls, they are part of the external
mural circuit with pebbles. Tignano is also famous for the many well-known,
powerful Florentine individuals born here: Feo Bonino da Tignano, Ser
Martino Tancredi da Tignano, Ser Bartolo di Ser Bonaiuto da Tignano, just
to name a few.