Cassero Medievale di Prato
| The Guelphs battlements seen from the Fiorentina
|| The modern access to the cassero fron the Castle's
side (Viale Piave).
'Cassero Medievale' rises just in front of the Emperor's Castle southern
front, in the historical center of Prato
|The Porta Fiorentina as it looks today and
the 'Corridore del Cassero'.
The 'Cassero Medievale' of Prato, just reopened to the
public after a great work of restoration, is a superelevated fortified
walk, accessible from Viale Piave, just in front of the Eastern Gate
of the Emperor's Castle, and from Via Pomeria, entering the Fiorentina
Gate of the town walls. The construction of the Cassero was work of
the Florentines and started in 1351, after the subjugation of the town
of Prato, in order to allow the garrison at defense of the city to reach
the castle directly from the town walls and other way round. The inner
corridor of the Cassero [ the 'Corridore del Cassero' ],
with barred vault and a long series of fanlight alternated to small rectangular
windows that gives light to the passage, is now a center for interesting
exhibitions. From the Fiorentina Gate, that in practice was a small fortress
built against the walls, is possible to approach the upper level of the
walk, an open terrace crowned on both sides with Guelphs battlements,
from which we have one of the best view on the Emperor's castle, part
of the town walls and the town's skyline.
|The external fortified wall walk...
||..that in this shot seems still joined with the Emperor's