Paneretta Castle


The castle, or villa, called Paneretta rises in the territory of Monsanto, famous for its wines, along a secondary road that crosses the valley. The entrance of this road can be found along the 'SS222 Chiantigiana', approximately 2 km passed the town of S.Donato following the indications for 'Olena'.



» Chianti: A Selection of Self Catering Vacation Rentals

The villa-farm of the Paneretta stands on the ridge of the relief sloping down towards the river Elsa valley. Looking at its structure is still easy to identify all the traces of its origin: a 15th century small fortress. Most probably the building was erected here after the abandonment of Cepparello, an ancient castle located on the opposite slope of the valley, destroyed by the Florentine Army in 1260. Formerly a simple late medieval stronghold on the border between the territories of Siena and Florence with a quadrilateral structure, thick bastioned walls crowned by Guelphs battlements and reinforced with towers in each angle [in one is located the chapel], loop and fire holes, central square keep, in 1577 the Paneretta became property of Ludovico Capponi [thanks to the wedding with Maddalena Corrieri] that undertook great works for changing the structure of the castle in country residential villa: wide openings in the facade, frescoes in the inner courtyard, ashlar-work ornament around the main gate... In 1669 the Capponi family come to an end and the castle passed to the Riccardi [again for wedding] that remained its owners until 1871 when, completed its definitive transformation in villa, the Paneretta became property of the Strozzi. Today the castle-villa is seat of the farm that brings the same name manufacturer of an excellent wine Chianti Classico.



Back to Homepage
Back to Castles Index