The Bandinella dominates the River Arno and the town of Incisa Valdarno, about 20 km from Florence driving towards Rome.
Bandinella Tower rise on the river Arno banks opposite the side where,
on the top of a hill, stands the Incisa Castle (a construction of the
11th century formerly known as ' Old Castle of Ancisa' ) of which only
a few traces today remains. Also two important ancient roads that connected
Arezzo and Florence had their crossing point here, on the Incisa bridge:
the ancient S.Donato road and the most recent that runs alongside the
bottom of the valley.
In the year 1364 the Florentine Republic [that in the
meantime made the castle the administrative center of the zone] after
a battle with the Pisane army supported by English mercenaries that caused
serious damages to Incisa, restored the fortifications and built a new
imposing tower at the head of the bridge.